GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Steel SIPs

Straight_Curves | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I know that a steel stud dosent provide a thermal break. However this company seems to have
resolved that issue.
http://www.thermasteelcorp.com
They put 2 steel studs opposite each other on the flat, with foam in between.
Any info on this type of SIP’s would be appreciated.

Thanx

B

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brian,
    Panels from ThermaSteel are mentioned in this GBA article: Solar Decathlon 2011: Team New York’s Rooftop Haven.

I wrote an article for the March 2007 issue of Energy Design Update that mentioned ThermaSteel panels. In that article, I wrote in part:

"ThermaSteel, formerly known as ThermaStructure, manufactures wall and roof panels in Radford, Virginia. The panels are available in three thicknesses: 3 ½ ” (R-16), 5 ½ ” (R-25), and 7 ½ ” (R-35). Panels are 4 feet wide, and are available in heights up to 12 feet. Roof panels can span up to 16 feet.

"Structural loads are carried by 24-gauge steel studs, installed in two parallel rows, 16 or 24 inches on center. The top and bottom plates can be either steel or wood.

"Whereas most other skinless panel manufacturers start with blocks of EPS, routing out channels in which steel studs are inserted and glued, ThermaSteel uses a different approach: after steel studs are placed in the EPS mold, the foam is formed in place around the studs. Adjacent panels overlap with a shiplap joint secured by screws. According to John Downes of ThermaStructure, the New England distributor of ThermaSteel panels, “One man can lift a 5 ½ -inch thick ThermaStructure panel, which weighs much less than a SIP.”"

2. jackofalltrades777 | | #2

I would conclude that ThermaStructure is NOT a SIP, hence the reason they make the statement of, "One man can lift a 5 ½ -inch thick ThermaStructure panel, which weighs much less than a SIP."

They are comparing ThermaStructure panels vs SIPs.

3. morganparis | | #3

I've been looking at thermasteel for a small studio project. They are structural panels, and they are insulated so I guess they are Structural Insulated Panels. I guess the manufacturer was trying to draw a distinction with 'conventional' SIPs. They seem to have fewer thermal bridges than conventional SIPs, just the top and bottom plate as the panels are joined laterally without bridging.

4. mkbuilds | | #4

Is it possible to get a copy of Martin's article for Energy Design Update? Their site does not seem to be live anymore.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5
  6. mkbuilds | | #6

Martin Holladay-
    Thank you for the article link. One more request - the article references a previous article on these panels in EDU, July 1995. Would you be able to provide a link to that one as well?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |